You may have existing data you want to enter into ImpactMapper to analyze and visualize. For example you might have progress or initial report data on grants in excel format you want to add, survey data from another platform, or a database that you created with project metrics, etc. You can share that data with us if you prepare your file in the following way. We call this a Reports CSV Upload.
Step 1: Clean your data! See this CSV Cleaning Resource for common errors that will affect your data upload and create errors and/or your data to not be read and aggregated properly.
Step 2: Prepare your spreadsheet
- The first column should be the Participant/Organization/Grantee/Report identification
- Each row underneath the 1st column includes that individual/respondents responses for each variable in the columns. (See example 1 below.)
- Columns 2 and on share the variable names (Tag group) and the rows will include each individual/organization/publication’s values (Tag) (See example 1 below.)
- When you share your data with us, the default way that we read the data beyond the initial first rows, related to grant/grantee or Organizations/Individuals will be in the Tag group/tag format.
- You can include open text responses, and our system will automatically recognize it as an open-ended text field.
There are a few special cases that you might have in your data that goes beyond out typical data structure.
- Having multiple variables that are all connected to the same tag group
- Needing to apply tags to particular sets of open ended text in the excel file.
In order to for our system to recognize these special values you need to communicate this to our team using the feedback button when you upload your data.
- If you have the same variable (Tag Group) but multiple different value options for example see columns F-H where there are 3 different priority issues listed, you need to communicate to our team that you want these responses to be treated as 1 Tag Group that includes all of these tags. You can do that by sharing the following script with our team: “Tagging Group column x-column x” In this case Tagging Group F-H. (See example 1 below.)
- “Column J: Hopes” below includes comma delimited tags that are applied to the open ended text in the previous “Column I General Hopes for this election.” The user wants to have all of these tags they identified in the text aggregated for frequency. You can do that by communicating the following to developers.
- If you also want to share metatags then put the meta tag name in every column as relevant (see example 2 below.) Share the name “Tagged Text J:I” (Always put the tags first and the tagged text column second). This will tell the developers to apply these tags to the previous column’s text during the upload. You can have a column have only one tag that is applied to the open text or multiple tags. If it is multiple tags, make sure to separate by semi-colons, so they are read as separate items.
- So the full note to share in our feedback button if you have special data is: Hi there IM developer team! I just uploaded a csv, named: “xxx”. Most of the data is normal, but there are a few special cases. Please see below:
Tagged Text J:I
Tagging Group F-H
Please Note: This is the first step in preparing an automated online CSV upload process. An automated CSV uploader is currently in development.
If you have any further questions about cleaning, preparing, and uploading your data to ImpactMapper, check out the rest of our articles here, or get in touch via the chat icon below.
We will also host webinars sharing best practices for keeping your data clean and up to date. Keep checking this page for the latest, and subscribe to our newsletter!